Error code 19 appears on screen when your operating system or any other installed program could not recognize CD or DVD drive. Error message normally occurs on Windows XP, Vista & 7 after you installed, uninstalled or updated your system.
This article is very well compiled to resolve error code 19 on Windows XP, Vista & 7. Follow the procedure given in troubleshooting steps.
· Use Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
· Delete Certain Registry Key
· Reinstall the Program
· Remove and Reinstall Drivers
Use Hardware and Device Troubleshooter
Hardware and Device Troubleshooter is built-in utility that scans and repairs hardware related issues including error code 19. Follow the instructions given below to use Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.
1. Click on Start button | Type “Troubleshooter” in Search Box without quotes
2. Press Enter
3. In Troubleshooting Window click on Hardware and Sound
4. Select Configure a Device | Next
5. Let the Troubleshooter scan your system for Hardware
6. Follow on-screen Wizard
7. You are done
Delete Certain Registry Key
Misleading Registry Entries can cause error code 19. The error occurs when your operating system is confused to recognize any device after installing, uninstalling or updating a program. Following key is linked to your error code, you should remove it. Here are instructions.
1. Open Start | Type Run in Search Box
2. Right-click on Run to select Run as Administrator
3. Insert Password if prompted
4. In the Run field type “regedit” without quotes and press Enter
In Registry Editor navigate to following location
5. Now click on UpperFilters
6. Click on Edit and Remove this entry
7. Click yes for confirmation
8. Now click on LowerFilters | Delete this entry
Note: Prior to this step, take backup of your Registry. If you do not have technical knowledge, you are advised to use some authentic Registry Repair Utility.
Reinstall the Program
As stated above, error code 19 normally occurs after installing, updating or uninstalling any program. Check now which program that is causing error. Uninstall the program and reinstall it. Follow the instructions given below.
1. Open Start | Click on Control Panel
2. Select Uninstall a program under Programs
3. Select Recently installed program that is causing error code 19
4. Uninstall the Program
5. Check if you can access CD or DVD drive
6. Now Reinstall the Program
7. You are done
Remove and Reinstall the Drivers
It could be reason that you are unable to access your CD or DVD drive due to missing or outdated device drivers. Remove and reinstall the drivers to fix error code 19. Follow the procedure given below to remove and reinstall the Drivers.
1. Open Start | GOTO Control Panel
2. Click on System and Security | Select System
3. Click on Device Manager | Insert Administrator’s Password if prompted
4. In the Device Manager Window expand DVD/CD-ROM Drivers
5. Right-click on CD and DVD devices | Uninstall
6. Click OK to Confirm Changes
7. If you are using Windows 7, computer would automatically pick up CD and DVD Drivers on restart