Runtime Error 216 appears with Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer or a Windows-based application. There are several causes. Some of them are explained below:
1. Scan for SubSeven Trojan
2. Delete Temporary Files
3. Rename Watching.dll File
4. Clean Boot
5. Remove Infected Registry Entries
Scan for SubSeven Trojan
A Trojan virus called SubSeven is likely injected to your computer. It bypasses normal security mechanism in order to secretly control a network computer or program. It’s a Backdoor:W32/SubSeven threat.
1. Click Start | Run.
2. Type REGEDIT in the Open box.
3. Press ENTER key.
4. Locate following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Classes | EXEFile | Shell | Open | Command
5. Double click the (Default) value from the right hand side panel.
6. Replace existing value with “%1” %* (Quote-Percent-One-Quote-Space-Percent-Asterisk)
7. Click OK.
8. Locate following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Run.
9. Following is the list of suspected malicious entries. Please delete any strings found with
the following names-
Ayespie, PowerSaveMonitor, RunDLL32, Sys32.exe, Win, WinCrypt, Winloader, WinProtect, Win32nt, Win32.bin, xTnow
10. Locate following registry path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | RunServices
11. Delete any strings that match suspected malicious items mentioned under Step 9.
Delete the Temporary Files
Delete the temporary files and empty temporary directories. Use Disk CleanUp as shown here:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories | System Tools.
2. Select Disk CleanUp.
3. Select system disk drive, click OK.
4. Follow the on screen wizard.
Rename Watching.dll File
Most likely your computer may contain a file called Watching.dll. It could be illegitimate file that come with SubSeven Trojan. Delete the file to fix runtime error 216.
1. Double click My Computer desktop icon.
2. Type Watching.dll in the top right corner Search box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. If you find any file with Watching.dll name, please rename it as Watching.dll.OLD
Clean Boot is a term that describes an operating system is loaded with minimal number of startup programs and drivers. Clean Boot is very helpful especially for the troubleshooting purposes. Fix runtime error 216 by running your computer in the manner given below:
1. Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories.
2. Select Run.
3. Type MSCONFIG in the Open box.
4. Press ENTER.
5. System Configuration program shall open.
6. Click the Startup tab and uncheck all items. Click Apply.
7. Click the Services tab, check-up the box labelled Hide all Microsoft Services.
8. Uncheck all Non-Microsoft services appearing in the list.
9. Click Apply | OK.
Remove Infected Registry Entries
It is possible to remove infected registry entries with a Registry Cleaner software. Such software scans all registry portions-hives, and removes infected entries from the registry. This will fix runtime error 216 the next time your computer is restarted.
1. Download RegInOut Registry Cleaner.
2. Start full registry scan. To do so, please click Start Scan button.
3. Repair all errors and remove infected entries by clicking Fix Errors button.