Error code 0xc004f074 occurs due to activation key mismatch between Microsoft Key Management Server (KMS) of host machine and client machine. Time difference between host and client machine is also a potent reason behind this error. Mostly Windows 7, Vista and Windows server 2008 R2 clients receive this error.
Following is the exact error message that the users reported:
0xc004f074 with description “The Key Management Server (KMS) is unavailable”
In this article you’ll learn how to resolve Microsoft Volume Licensing Service error. Follow the solutions given below:
1. Execute Slmgr.vbs Command
2. Resync Time on Client Machine
3. Resolve Windows Registry errors
4. Disable Windows Firewall
5. Update Windows
Execute Slmgr.vbs Command
Windows licensing files could be corrupt. Corrupt licensing file cause error code 0xc004f074. Use Command Prompt and execute Slmgr.vbs command as shown below:
· Click the Start button.
· Type CMD in the Search box.
· Right-click on Command Prompt search result and select Run as Administrator
· Type the following command and press ENTER.
Slmgr.vbs –ipk <25 digit product key>
Resync Time on Client Machine
Time difference between host and client machine is one of the potent reasons behind error code 0xc004f074. Resolve the mismatch between Microsoft Key Management Server of host machine and client machine. You are required to resync the time on the client machine. This could help you to resolve this problem. Follow the steps given below to do so:
· Click the Start button
· Type w32tm /resync in the Search box.
· Press ENTER.
Resolve Windows Registry Errors
Windows Registry is most sensitive and critical section of Windows Operating System. Any unusual change in the Windows Registry can cause errors.
Error code 0xc004f074 occurs due to corrupt licensing Registry entries. You require Registry Cleaner software to resolved Windows Registry errors.
· Download RegInOut Registry Cleaner.
· Install the software.
· Perform full registry scan. It may take a minute or two.
· The software will show you a list of allr registry errors.
· Fix the Registry Errors button to resolve your problem immediately.
Disable Windows Firewall
Sometime Windows Firewall restricts Key Management Server (KMS) from performing its tasks. This restriction eventually results in error code 0xc004f074. In this case, the only way to continue uninterrupted installation process is to disable Windows Firewall. Disable Windows Firewall as instructed below:
· Click Start button and then click Control Panel.
· Click System and Security and then click Windows Firewall.
· Now click Turn Windows Firewall On or Off.
· Check Turn off Windows Firewall and click OK.
An update has been launched by Microsoft that extends the Key Management Server (KMS) and provides support for client installation. The update provides activation for Windows 7, Windows Vista and for Windows server 2008 R2. Download the update from here and install it.